Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Good Eats:

Dearest Lilah -

You've always been what can be considered a "good eater." From the day you were born, you never had any trouble figuring out the whole breast-feeding deal. Though I, and my poor nipples, disagree with your latch, I figured it was a small price to pay for you to be doing so well. That's why I have been worried about you this week. This week when we went back to the doctor to get another of your vaccinations, I was surprised to find that you had lost 10 ounces in the past couple of weeks! How could this be? You are still eating like a champ and having all the wet and correctly colored dirty diapers that you are supposed to.

I've racked my brain and worried the past couple of days that you might not actually be getting enough to eat; I've thought that's why you never take long naps or sleep very long. And I worry this much and try to come up with solutions for our "problem" even though the nurse practitioner at the doctor's office said you looked perfect and wasn't alarmed at all by your weight loss upon hearing that you were exclusively breastfed.

This is what happens when you take a person who is already prone to worry and then give her a centimeter to worry on.

So, dearest girl, please do me the favor of putting back on those lost ounces before our next trip to the doctor so I can sleep again at night!

Love,
Mommy